Home Education Registration In Australia
Most homeschoolers are more worried about the home education registration process than actually homeschooling. At My Homeschool we understand this so we want to remove that anxiety and make the process as easy as possible.
Home Education Registration – State and Territory Requirements
Legally children in Australia between the ages of 6 and 15 need to be at school or homeschooled. From 15 to 17 children can leave school if they meet state educational or vocational requirements (this varies slightly between states).
To be registered for homeschooling in Australia you must apply to the state or territory in which you are a resident. You cannot register to homeschool in Australia if you are living overseas, or have no fixed address. The parent who will be the home educator is the person who registers each individual child.
Home Education Registration Plan – DIY
I won’t mince words; it does require effort and commitment to sift through the options but don’t try to plan the perfect curriculum on your first attempt. Just get started and only try to plan one year and tweak it as you go. Your plans can be flexible. Most of us have made mistakes and wasted money planning. Give yourself permission to make mistakes and take the pressure off. Every year I homeschooled I bought something I didn’t end up using.
If you are looking to do your own homeschool planner here are some DIY tips.
State by State Planning Requirements
- If you are homeschooling in NSW you can use the NESA stage statements for your child’s grade. You can find guidelines here. Here are some sample plans.
- When homeschooling in Queensland the Home Education Unit (HEU) wants you to use their template. It’s an online application where you upload your documents.
- Tasmanian home educators have the Home Education Summary and Program document to follow.
- In South Australia homeschoolers don’t apply for home education registration you actually apply from an exemption from school. Visit their website to get a home education pack.
- Northern Territory home educators need to fill in a learning plan template.
- In WA home educators need to contact your regional office and ask to speak to a home education moderator. They will send you an application form and you get three months until you are assessed.
- In Victoria home educators need to send in a home education learning plan on your initial application. Reviews are carried out on random samples of 10% of the registered home educated families every year.
- ACT home educators need to contact the Education Directorate. A learning plan needs to be submitted within 28 days.
Thank you for putting together this wonderful course. Over the last 4 years I have taken 2 of my children through Years 7 and 8 using a distance ed programme but this year my daughter and I have found this course to be a much less stressful transition to high school. I love knowing that we are still fulfilling the requirements for the Australian Curriculum but I have also been able to give my daughter the rich classical literature-based education that I was looking for. I have been interested in the Charlotte Mason style of education for a few years but until now I was frustrated that everything I came across was based on American history/geography/seasons. Thank you for putting in the time to track down and integrate appropriate Australian resources into the curriculum.
This was my first year registering with the Qld Home Education unit myself so I also found the information that you included regarding registering very helpful.
I have also used the Year 5 and Prep courses this year and found them to be wonderful as well. Thank you again.
Pre-Done Purchased Home Education Plans
Home education registration applications are meant to be specific for each child and require individualisation.
So even though a pre-done plan may seem like the easiest way out, to make sure you pass your registration it is actually much better to make your own, or individualise the one you get done for you. We suggest if you want a 12 month registration then it’s best to tweak a pre purchased plan and put it into your own words.
APs or Moderators (the people who approve your registration) want the home educator to understand their submitted plans. We have been told by reliable sources that in Queensland and NSW the complete planning services provided by some homeschool resource providers are being rejected or only short term registrations are being given. The observation by the assessors was that the applicants didn’t understand their plan.
We’ve Found A Winning Combination For Plan Creation
At My Homeschool we are committed to helping homeschoolers know how to teach their children and what to teach them. So even though we don’t do your application for you we will set you up well and guide you through the process.
My Homeschool has been the perfect fit for our family. It has provided the "hand-holding" I needed as a new homeschooler while still being flexible enough to be workable in everyday life.
It took the stress out of writing the application for exemption to homeschool as everything was laid out for me, and we were granted 18 months exemption.
I love that it uses a relaxed CM style, can be taught from a Christian worldview and is Australian. The weekly plans are not overly prescriptive so can easily be implemented according to the child's individual interests and pace of learning and whatever else is happening in our week.
Grade Documentation Provided
Each purchased grade gives you:
- A Yearly Plan outlining our curriculum for 12 months (6 months for the Primary Lite). This plan is provided in a Word document that you can use. We include prompts, tips and examples of how to answer some of the required forms.
- A Scope and Sequence mapped to the Australian Curriculum and NESA Syllabus for the grade you are teaching. This is useful especially for NSW, QLD, WA, SA, ACT & NT home education applications, where you are asked to demonstrate how your plan lines up with the official state syllabus.
- Term report templates that are mostly done; you just need to add a few details.
- A week-by-week planner that you can print off, with places to make notes (no need to keep a diary)!!
- End of year Certificate of Completion for our Full Primary programs and our second semester high school programs.
- Prompts and reminders to collect work as part of your child’s portfolio for re-registration.
Just to let you know, our moderator here in W.A. absolutely loved the curriculum! Very positive feedback.
We are so very happy with your gorgeous curriculum and look forward to our future years of study!
State Rego & Planning Course
This course is available with all course purchases at no extra cost. It guides you through your state’s application process when using our courses.
- Example applications for different states.
- A lawyer drafted letter to start provisional homeschooling. (Only applies to Queensland). You’ll still need to submit a plan, but you can delay it for three months.
- Information on what to expect in your meetings for states that need to have a face-to-face consult.
- We help you prepare for your next assessment and give you tips on assessing your child’s progress.
And if you have any trouble with your application submission you can ask questions on the forum or email us with your questions.
I just wanted to say thank you for all the effort that’s been put into My Homeschool! I had my AP visit yesterday and it went great! He’s giving me 12 months registration and said if he comes next year and I’m still using the My Homeschool curriculum then he’ll give two years, even for my kindy child who’ll be a new registration. Thank you so much for helping make this transition to homeschooling so much easier and providing such detailed documents. I’m truly grateful!
100% Success Registration Approval
Combining our registration course with the templates and documents we provide means 75% of your documentation is done for initial and renewal applications.
We take the stress and worry out of your home education registration application. And as far as we know, we have a 100% success rate with registration and reregistration when families use our plans and templates as we direct them.
Why are we getting such good results? We’ve had feedback from moderators that it’s because our plans comply with the state requirements, our members understand what they are teaching, and they have tweaked their plans to suit their child
I just thought I would drop you a line to let you know that I have successfully registered using My Homeschool and the AP moderator had lots of nice things to say about it. You are doing a great job and it took all the registration stress away. It was so easy. Thank you so much!
My Homeschool Programs
Find out about our My Homeschool Curriculum.
What Our Home Education Families Are Saying
We’ve been told by our enrolled members that their registration application passed easily. Here are their reviews and testimonials.
I started this year with my 9 year old boy, so I'm definitely not an expert at this at all. It's been an adjustment period but I enjoy having my son home and watching him learn, he's having more fun and I can tell how much he is progressing in just the short amount of time he's been doing it.
Starting off the journey is scary, and we have just had our 3 month moderator visit us for the first time. I was so nervous! We passed with flying colours and she was very impressed with everything my son has been learning.
We got the 'go ahead' for our first year of homeschooling from the Assessor today and he said that he gave us a full year to start us off because he was, and I quote, "Very impressed with the level of detail" I was able to provide him with and that is thanks to My Homeschool!!
I love the weekly schedule so much; Jo - I know they will make the organisational side of my week much less of a task.
Zoom interview with the approved person went really well...He was impressed with the plan and said he is recommending approval for 12 Months, so we were really happy about that. It means we can get really into learning now and not have to worry about interruptions!
Thanks for My Homeschool, I am pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to put the plans together without your resources! Even if I could have - it would have taken me hours and hours and a big headache of trying to understand what was required!
Three Cheers for My Homeschool, empowering parents to teach their precious loved ones!