Are you looking into homeschooling in Tasmania? Many feel a little daunted when they first begin. There’s a lot of jargon very specific to Tas homeschooling and it can be hard to get your head around it all. However, it’s really not as scary as many think.
Disclaimer: This is not legal advice but information from my own research and experience.
Frequently Asked Questions About Homeschooling in TAS
Here is a quick overview of the basic facts that you need to understand for homeschooling in Tasmania.
I’ll start with a few frequently asked questions.
Do I Need To Register?
If you live in Tasmania and plan on homeschooling your child then the Tasmanian Education Act of 2016 states it is a legal requirement to register to homeschool from ages 5 to 17 – if your child is not enrolled in distance education,
or at a school.
Can I Homeschool Part Time?
Provisional registration when homeschooling in Tasmania can be done quite quickly if necessary (about a week). If you require a fast registration be sure to mention this in your application.
Can I Travel and Get Registered?
Yes, but there must be intent to return to Tasmania.
What If My Child Has Special Needs?
Many parents who are homeschooling in Tasmania have children with special needs; you can adapt your curriculum to suit your child’s needs.
Homeschooling in Tasmania – The Registration Process
On the Office of Education Registrar’s (OER) website you will find the nitty-gritty details for homeschooling in Tasmania registration but I’ll give you the simplified version.
STEP ONE: Download and fill in your registration form from the OER Website.
To register to homeschool in Tasmania you’ll need to gather a few documents:
- Your child’s birth certificate. A certified copy of the original.
- Proof that you are a resident in Tasmania such as a driver’s license.
- Something to show from the school if they have come from school. If they haven’t been to school or it is a new registration then that is not needed.
- If you have court orders regarding the care of your child you’ll also need to give details about that.
STEP TWO: Start preparing your documentation. You’ll need:
- A Home Education Summary and Program HESP (Home Education Summary and Program)
- A plan or method for recording learning activities.
- A plan or method for recording achievement and progress.
Filling Out Your Homeschooling in Tasmania Registration Form
I encourage you to make your Home Education Summary and Program (HESP) your own and make it suit you. You will still be responsible for your child’s registration.
Your HESP requires specific documentation. A template can be downloaded from their website.
They want you to fill it out using their headings. However it does not say this form is compulsory. They state it “may be used as a guide to develop your Home Education Summary and Program,” so as long as you have included the topics they want covered you can still use our plans.
I’m really in love with the literature rich style of My Homeschool. I can see the benefit and how it will help us be closer as a family. I have a 3 month old as well and this style lends itself to the busy mum. GREAT WORK!!! I really like the links within the weekly lesson plans. While I love having a book in my hands, it is great if we are out or I don’t have the resource close by, to be able to click on it and use it. My son also likes to click on them and have a perusal before we start. For him it’s not hard to find what we are doing for the week as it is mostly all there laid out.
We are absolutely loving Dot & the Kangaroo!! what a gorgeous story, my children are captivated!!
Really loving A Book for Kids poetry. Puts a smile on our faces.
I am using it to teach 2 children. The only reason I am finding the workload heavy is because I have a 3-month-old. He hasn’t been well (silent reflux), so trying to fit everything in when I have a sick baby has been hard. I have chosen to purchase a course for my younger and give my eldest extension type work. This seems to be working so far. I am loving that I can teach them together, as it feels more like “family learning” rather than “school learning” to me. We are doing it together!!
Can I Buy A Plan?
Yes! When you use My Homeschool we give you the essential building blocks for your personalised learning plan.
We’ve done 75% of the work. We provide idea prompts and suggestions to help you personalise your application to suit your child’s specific needs.
With each grade we include:
- A learning plan in an editable Word document. Just fill in the sections we recommend.
- A scope and sequence with all syllabus outcomes and codes linked to resources.
- Editable Term Reports to make re-registration easy.
100% of our members report passing their registration and reregistration when using our templates.
What a relief and blessing for homeschool families to have all the nitty gritty details of daily homeschool and homeschool registration designed for us. It is wonderful to see how simple registration can be. Michelle you have created a method for recording that oozes simplicity and that is what we all want. Michelle and Jo you are a very present listening ear and help on the My Homeschool forum and your advice is all about making homeschool work for each one. I have absolute freedom in how I use this resource. I have not followed the schedule as is but have felt encouragement from you to make it work for my busy family lifestyle, quirks and passions. Year 5 is helping our ten year old to move into written narrations and I have found Our Sunburnt Country broken into small chunks with a notebook page for each reading, is so simple and achievable. My daughter’s confidence in writing has grown in the first term of using My Homeschool following this very natural method. Thank you Michelle and Jo, for your commitment to making homeschool simple. What a blessing you are.
Let Us Help You On The Homeschool Journey
My Homeschool is more than a curriculum, it is a holistic education community that supports parents and children on their homeschool journey. When you buy a graded homeschool program through My Homeschool you are joining a community that supports and mentors parents interested in educating their children academically and spiritually.
We give you a shortcut to help you get straight into giving your child a delightful and robust education without spending days and days researching and tweaking unsuitable content.
We Wanted A Curriculum That Worked For Home Educators
Our curriculum writers have already done the juggle of homeschooling a few children at once.
- We knew how lovely and important it is to learn as a family so we made some lessons and read alouds possible to teach as a group.
- We reduced the time needed for formal academics by crafting our curriculum so our resources and books often teach multiple topics.
- We made each grade fit each state’s syllabus so you can get registered easily.
- We gave you a streamlined intentional curriculum so you could give your children a wholesome integrated education from kindergarten to high school.
- We made sure it was academically challenging so your children will have career options, and a pathway to university if needed.
- We put it all in one place so you weren’t hunting around looking for resources every time you wanted to begin lessons.
- We made it easy to access your lessons and planner when you were out and about or travelling just by picking up your smartphone.
Buy A Course
Become a part of the My Homeschool community. Let us mentor you on the homeschool journey.