‘I’ll Never Homeschool’
So You’re Having Coffee With Your Never Homeschool Friends…
You are sitting around a table with some friends who have children in school. They are raving (or complaining or comparing) about their child’s new class teachers. They talk about the choir, craft and sports teachers that are at the school. And then one of them turns to you and says, ‘That’s why I could never homeschool – I couldn’t limit my child to just one teacher. I want to give them a broad education.’
Only One Teacher
Have you ever felt guilty as a homeschooling mother because you are only giving your child one teacher – you!
Do you ever think that your child is missing out on the variety of teachers that a school provides?
Well let me ease your mind!
Homeschooling allows you to introduce your child to a wide variety of teachers.
How? through books!
Your child may not have many “in person” teachers but they have the luxury of, as Charlotte Mason puts it, “a city of books”. We may forego a few school teachers, but we can introduce our children to expert teachers who are authors who will help them to think.
“If you ask a living teacher a question, he will probably answer you. If you are puzzled by what he says, you can save yourself the trouble of thinking by asking him what he means. If, however, you ask a book a question, you must answer it yourself. In this respect a book is like nature or the world. When you question it, it answers you only to the extent that you do the work of thinking and analysis yourself.” Adler & Doren p.14 © 1972
Meeting Your Teachers
Teaching your child to read, and read with understanding, is essential to their education. Books can help your child gain knowledge, but it will also help them reach for greater understanding, as they grapple with ideas that are put before them by those whose wisdom is greater than their own.
Books are teachers, a place where your children can meet with the mind of the author. That is why so many homeschoolers see the value of using living books for their child’s education.
So next time you find yourself worrying, or judged, for not giving your child the opportunity to participate in the teacher lottery, remind yourself of the blessing of books. And remind yourself that you get to choose your children’s teachers; and you can choose from experts and masters in their field.
Aren’t homeschoolers lucky!
Let Us Help You On The Homeschool Journey
My Homeschool is more than a curriculum, it is a holistic education community that supports parents and children on their homeschool journey. When you buy a course through My Homeschool you are joining a community that supports and mentors parents interested in educating their children academically and spiritually.
We give you a shortcut to help you get straight into giving your child a delightful and robust education without spending days and days researching and tweaking unsuitable content.
We Wanted A Curriculum That Worked For Home Educators
Our curriculum writers have already done the juggle of homeschooling a few children at once.
- We knew how lovely and important it is to learn as a family so we made some lessons and read alouds possible to teach as a group.
- We reduced the time needed for formal academics by crafting our curriculum so our resources and books often teach multiple topics.
- We made each grade fit each state’s syllabus so you can get registered easily.
- We gave you a streamlined intentional curriculum so you could give your children a wholesome integrated education from kindergarten to high school.
- We made sure it was academically challenging so your children will have career options, and a pathway to university if needed.
- We put it all in one place so you weren’t hunting around looking for resources every time you wanted to begin lessons.
- We made it easy to access your lessons and planner when you were out and about or travelling just by picking up your smartphone.
Buy A Course
Become a part of the my homeschool community. Let us mentor you on the homeschool journey.
We Want To Encourage You
When you sign up to our Inspire Your Homeschool newsletter you'll get encouragement and access to our free online workshops.
We can give you:
- access to our free How To Homeschool 101 course.
- access to our free trial kindergarten to Year 10.
- access to our living books reading lounge catalogue.
- we also send you special offers and homeschool news.
It's free and you can unsubscribe at anytime.